A consultation process is underway to involve all relevant parties in joint assessment of opportunities for reintroduction of beaver, and the benefits and costs associated with such an initiative.
Any reintroduction would require the approval of the Welsh Government and Natural Resources Wales (NRW) as its relevant regulatory body.
Consultation to date has been undertaken mostly at the national level. A period of local consultation and investigation will now proceed from 17th July 2012 to gather information, opinions, concerns and ideas from local communities in and around potential beaver reintroduction sites.
The following organizations have been involved with an assessment of the feasibility of reintroducing beaver to Wales:
- Country Land and Business Association
- Farmers Union of Wales
- Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group
- Fisheries, Ecology and Recreation Advisory Committee
- Welsh National Park Authority
- Natural Resources Wales
- National Trust Wales
- Snowdonia National Park Authority
- Visit Wales Tourist Board
- Welsh Salmon and Trout Angling Association
- Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water
- Wildlife Trusts Wales